Friday, April 22, 2011

A Good Friday in Auschwitz

I'm rarely hit with crazy ideas that I follow through with in their totality.  Instead, I'm usually taken with an idea, toy with it for about 30 minutes, and have satisfied myself so much just by imagining the project and its wacky completion - or am finally convinced that it really was a stupid notion anyway - that I'm through with it and never spent time, money, or effort following through on my eccentric inclination.  It is a thrifty and careful way to live . . . although I don't know whether that makes it praiseworthy or not.

So, when my Good Friday plans for this year began to teeter on the edge and dissolve, I sat down and tried to console myself.  I was feeling particularly low since it looks as though some of my post-semester European travel plans might need to be sacrificed in the name of finding gainful employment.  (Suffice it to say that I will be changing jobs soon.)  In my head, the following conversation occurred:

Voice: Gosh, there sure are a lot of places in Europe that you wanted to visit and didn't get to, aren't there?
 Me: Yup.  I traveled a lot though (said rather defensively).  I mean, I did as much as my job, time, and money would allow.  I don't really want to talk about this.  Want some Greek yogurt with honey?
Voice: Yes, yes, yes.  But let's list some of the places you regret.
Me: Well . . . I wanted to see Prague.  And I wanted to walk the Santiago de Compostella pilgrimage through Spain.  Oh, and I wanted to see all of Ireland.  I'm sorry that I missed the Musee d'Orsay in Paris and that I didn't make it to Lourdes.  Germany would have been great to see.  I sort of wanted to stay in Munich and then take daytrips places, like Salzburg and the Neuschwanstein Castle.  There are lots of places in Poland that I wish I had seen.  I'm really sorry that I didn't go to Auschwitz when I was in Krakow.  I mean, I'm glad I used my two and half days the way I did, but I wish I had more time there to do Auschwitz.  And I wish I had been to the Alps and . . .
Voice:  Auschwitz would be a great thing to do on Good Friday.  John Paul II called it "the modern Golgotha."
Me:  Whoa.  Sure would.
Voice: You're a little slow.  Let me make this easier.  Get online and check ticket prices.
Me: Oh, you're saying I should think about actually going this Good Friday.  Oh. I see.

So I checked the prices and they were decent.  I have mixed feelings towards Ryan Air, but I must say, they have gotten me all over the place and for a fairly low investment on my part.  I e-mailed the hotel I stayed at last time and they had rooms available.  So I booked rooms and bought tickets and, five days later, off I went.

And so, tomorrow, I'll tell you all about my Good Friday in Auschwitz.


No comments:

Post a Comment